Do you know any tricks for a perfect, evenly cooked roast every time? This feat has escaped me for years, but the fact of the matter is that it couldn’t be easier! To start, I followed this chef-crafted Peppery Dijon Sirloin Tip Roast recipe, as well as these rules and tools I learned from my friend Chef Michael Ollier with the Certified Angus Beef ® brand:
- Purchase an evenly shaped roast. A roast that is a consistent size and shape will cook at the same rate from end to end.
- Use a roasting pan with rack. The rack is key. It allows the oven’s heat to circulate evenly around the roast.
- Preheat the oven. The oven should be hot and ready to roast.
- Take roast from refrigerator to oven. It isn’t necessary to bring beef to room temperature, and it only raises food safety concerns.
- Insert thermometers with care. Be sure your meat thermometer is inserted into the center of the roast. It should not touch bone, the pan or stick out the opposite side of the meat.
And the very best tool for ensuring a perfectly cooked beef roast:
The Roast Perfect app is your cooking guide!
I admit when the app timer showed 1 hour, 49 minutes to sear, roast and rest the beef, I thought “Game on! We’ll see if that’s right!” It was! The timer feature did an amazing job of making sure my 5-lb. Peppery Dijon Rosemary Sirloin Tip Roast was cooked to a perfect medium doneness. Get the Roast Perfect app and follow its instructions—you won’t be disappointed! The app is loaded with recipes; here’s the one I made:
- 1 (4 pound) Certified Angus Beef ® sirloin tip (knuckle) roast
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds baby new red potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut in diagonal 1 to 2-inch chunks
- ½ cup beef broth
- Rub top and sides of roast with mustard; sprinkle evenly with salt, black pepper and rosemary. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 hours, overnight preferred.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Unwrap roast and place on rack in roasting pan. Roast uncovered for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 325ºF. Add potatoes, carrots and beef broth around roast, in the bottom of the pan. Roast an additional 40 minutes. Cover with foil and roast an additional 30 minutes for medium doneness (135-140°F).
- Remove roast from oven and loosely tent with foil; allow to rest 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with roasted vegetables and broth.