Some of my best meals are made in a slow cooker. I love to while away my time in the kitchen slicing, dicing and chopping, don’t get me wrong! But a slow cooker allows for some free time — a luxury on busy weekdays. This recipe for Braised Chuck Roast with Roasted Red Pepper sauce is ideal for the low and slow cooking method.
Step one: roast three red peppers. Preheat your oven 450°F., then quarter and core red bell peppers. Toss with minced garlic and a tablespoon of olive oil. Place the peppers on a large sheet tray and broil until the skins are blistered and blackened (about 10 minutes). When the peppers cool, discard the skin — it should come off quite easily. Chop the peppers and toss them into your slow cooker, or roast in advance and store in the refrigerator.
Roasting Tip: line sheet tray with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
You will need a 3-lb. Certified Angus Beef ® brand chuck roast for this recipe. Season with salt and pepper, brown in a hot skillet, and then transfer to the slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients to the skillet, then pour over the beef and simmer on low for six hours, or until beef is fork tender.
Serving Tip: shred braised beef with two forks; serve with sour cream and fresh cilantro.
- 1 (3-pound) Certified Angus Beef ® chuck roast
- 3 red bell peppers
- 4 large garlic cloves, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced, to yield 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- Sour cream for garnish
- Preheat broiler or oven to 450°F. Quarter and core red peppers; toss with garlic and one tablespoon olive oil in a large bowl to coat. Evenly space peppers on a large sheet tray and place under broiler to blister and blacken pepper skins, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven; when cool, discard skin that easily comes off, chop and transfer to slow cooker.
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in large heavy-bottomed pan. Brown beef over medium-high heat on all sides; transfer to slow cooker. Add onions, chipotle peppers and paprika to pan. Stir to remove beef bits from bottom of pan. Add broth and diced tomato; pour over beef.
- Braise on low 6 hours or until beef is fork tender.
- Remove roast from cooker and place on cutting board. Pull apart with forks to bite-sized pieces. Skim excess fat from braising liquid. Stir beef back into sauce. Serve, garnished with cilantro and a dollop of sour cream.
Click here for more slow cooker recipes.